Garden, Plant, Cook!

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Pumpkin Milk For Coffee and Cocktails! And Link for My Stuffed Pumpkin Recipe.

Dear Folks,

When fall starts to beckon and all the pumpkin-spiced goodies show up in stores and Starbucks, I drop my 'tropical' mentality and go looking for ways to use pumpkin in recipes.

And I confess I LOVE pumpkin lattes.  But I don't love the chemical concoctions companies like Starbucks use to make the flavor (they announced this year they would use real pumpkin, but they still are using a laboratory experiment to flavor the coffees).

So of course I went looking for homemade versions and I found two which were the basis for my version -- FoodNetwork and Libby's both had okay sounding recipes but they were not good enough and they also were designed to make 1 or 2 coffees at a time calling for hot coffee immediately.  I wanted to have a batch of pumpkin milk on hand.

My Pumpkin Milk For Drinks
This makes 1 cup (I make up big batches based on how many serving sizes are in a small can of pumpkin puree and adjust the other ingredients).

2/3 cup milk (I use whole milk, but you can use any milk product you prefer)
1/3 cup pumpkin puree* - make sure it is the 100% kind and not pumpkin-pie filling which has other things added
2-4 teaspoons of sugar (or any sweetener you prefer - I usually use 3 teaspoons)
1/4 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice (go ahead and play around with PP spice combinations that equal 1/4 teaspoon - ginger, clove, nutmeg and cinnamon are the usual components)
Optional:  Whipped Cream

Blend all ingredients except whipped cream well.  Store in the refrigerator and use as desired.


*I was delighted when Fry's / Kroger came out with an organic pumpkin puree under their Simple Truth line - I stock up and ran out with my first batch of Pumpkin Milk this fall before Frys restocked - then stocked up again!

Pumpkin Milk Punch
Again, this makes 1 cup but can easily be multiplied.  I would freeze some of the blended milks to make an "ice" if you want to make up a punch bowl and keep it cold.

Non-Alcoholic version would be enjoyed by children - it tastes a lot like a slice of pumpkin pie in liquid form. Go ahead and top with whipped cream :-)

So, my Deane rarely drinks but likes a bit of brandy in an eggnog during the holiday time so I suggested a Pumpkin Milk Punch and he loved it.

1/4 cup of Pumpkin Milk
3/4 cup of regular milk
A jigger +/- of brandy or other similar liquor to taste
Optional:  Whipped Cream

Stir well and enjoy.

Some other uses for the pumpkin milk would be a pudding (I need to try this, just sounds good to my mind), any baking where milk is an ingredient and the flavor would be complimentary, or maybe try a bit in a homemade hot cocoa.

. . .

Need a Last Minute Entree for Vegetarian or Vegan meals?  How about a stuffed pumpkin!  This is a fun entree or side dish and makes a great presentation at the table.

The recipe is from my cookbook "101+ Recipes From The Herb Lady" at Amazon. or My Publisher

Stuffed Pumpkin

Have a wonderful, peaceful and Happy Thanksgiving!



-- Catherine, The Herb Lady

If you enjoyed this post, subscribe in the upper side bar link, to get all my posts!

Disclaimer: Clicking on links on this blog may earn me a small commission if you purchase something. Your price does not change.

No comments: