Garden, Plant, Cook!

Friday, February 05, 2016

Savory Golden Oatmeal - A Sidedish for Lunch or Dinner.

Dear Folks,

I've shared recipe ideas on using oatmeal for meals other than breakfast.

Oatmeal makes an great economical, tasty, good-for-you option to rice as a side dish and it is FAST to make.  Once you have your ingredients ready it cooks up in 5-6 minutes.

I recently entered a contest Quaker Oats is having on finding new flavors for their instant oatmeal varieties.  I entered 3 flavors - maybe I will win, but whether I do I want YOU to know how good oatmeal is as a fast and easy side dish (or meal if you add in a protein - think Paella for meat etc ideas and flavors).

Here I decided on turmeric, ginger and pistachios as the base.  I added shredded red lettuce from my garden for texture and color.

Savory Turmeric, Ginger, Pistachio Oatmeal

Serves 2

1 teaspoon of butter or oil (I used my homemade butter / avocado oil spread)

1 cup of old fashioned oats
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon of ground turmeric (or more to taste or 1 teaspoon fresh grated)
1/8 teaspoon of ground ginger (or more to taste or 1 teaspoon fresh grated)
1 teaspoon dried onion (1/2 teaspoon of fresh)
1 3/4 cup water
2 tablespoons of pistachios (or more)
1 1/2 cups of shredded lettuce

In a pot, melt butter/oil stir salt, turmeric, ginger and onion for 1 minute.  Add water, stir, add oats and bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook until thickened, while stirring, about 5 minutes.

Remove from heat, fold in lettuce and serve in bowls topped with pistachios (or you can fold in the pistachios).

2 Servings each has 6.5 grams of protein, 4.75 grams of fiber and 190 calories.



! cup of this oatmeal/pistachio has about the same amount of protein as brown rice, more fiber, less calories (218 compared to 190 for the oatmeal), and cooks up faster.


What rice dishes do you make that can be changed out with oatmeal?

One of the contestants in the Quaker contest showed an "oatmeal burrito bowl"!  I thought that was a wonderful idea.  Made like the filling for a burrito and topped with fresh shredded cheese and diced tomatoes.


If you enjoy my recipes, check out my cookbooks on the side bar.

Have a great day!


-- Catherine, The Herb Lady

If you enjoyed this post, subscribe in the upper side bar link, to get all my posts!

Disclaimer: Clicking on links on this blog may earn me a small commission if you purchase something. Your price does not change.

No comments: